Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blue Ribbon Strawberry Pie


Each year my family anxiously awaits the beginning of the fresh strawberry season. It's because of this pie! This pie is one of my all-time favorites and so simple to make. Back when I was a child, I actually won a blue ribbon at the Washington County Fair with this recipe. The blue ribbon is long gone, but my memories of sharing this pie with family and friends, still remain. My mother taught me how to make this incredible pie and I thought I would share it with you.

Here is what you will need for this pie:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons Light Karo syrup
3 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 Tablespoons strawberry Jello (unprepared powder straight from the box)
dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
fresh strawberries, washed, dried and hulled
1 regular pie crust (not deep dish crust) empty baked according to package directions

1. In a non-stick sauce pan, combine water, sugar, Karo syrup and cornstarch. Stir until smooth and cook on medium-high heat, stirring regularly until it bubbles and thickens up.

2. Then add the strawberry Jello powder and red food coloring. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes (it does not have to be totally cooled before you use it), while you get your strawberries ready.

3. Cover the bottom of your pre-baked pie shell with strawberries, with the points facing up. Arrange the strawberries as tightly together as you can. You can also cut up a few strawberries to fit into the empty spaces between the whole berries. (If you prefer an easier to cut pie, go ahead and cut up ALL the strawberries, instead of leaving them whole. When I'm making this pie for my family, I usually cut up all the strawberries, but when I'm taking it to someone, I leave them whole for a prettier presentation! See picture below)

4. Next, carefully pour the strawberry/jello mixture over the strawberries, making sure that each strawberry gets covered with the mixture. Do not overfill!! If you fill it to the edges, it will overflow in the fridge, once some of the gel slides down off the berries. You will NOT use all of the strawberry/jello mixture.

5. Chill pie in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours so that the gel is set. Serve with whipped cream.

NOTE: I have found that if you DOUBLE this recipe, that you have enough strawberry/jello mixture to make 3 pies.

Here is a picture of what the pies look like if you cut up the strawberries, instead of leaving them whole. I took these pies out to the dealership that sold me a new vehicle this week! They were a big hit!
I hope you enjoy this pie as much as we do! It just tastes like summer to me!

Have a blessed day,
Melony

No comments:

Post a Comment