Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not just a batch of cookies...


Memories. Life is full of them. When I was young, one of my favorite things to do was to help my mom bake up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I remember sneaking spoonfuls (or maybe "finger-fulls") of the yummy dough when mom wasn't looking. I remember sitting on the floor in front of the oven and watching the dough magically transform into cookies! I remember how good it made the house smell and how I couldn't wait for them to come out of the oven so I could snatch one up while it was still hot.


Now I'm the mom that's making, or should I say "baking," up some memories with my kiddos. Today I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough. Amazing how something so simple brings such pleasure to the life of my children.

Josh enjoying the cookie dough

To some people, it might seem like I am just baking cookies. But, hopefully, when my kids are older, they will look back on days like today, when all we did was make a batch of cookies, and remember the smells, the tastes, laughter and hopefully the love that went into making the cookies. Time and time again, I am reminded that life is short. We only have our children for a short time before they go off into the world and hopefully carry our legacy with them. A legacy of love, life lessons, laughter and most importantly, faith.

It seems as though the days of summer are flying by and soon school will start again. The daily "rat race" of activities and responsibilities will be upon us. Deep sigh. My kids are growing up so fast. I wonder if I'm doing all I can to prepare them for this ever-changing world. Can we ever do enough? We simply must do our best, day to day.

So...today I baked cookies. Cookies that will not only fill up their tummies, but also their hearts and minds with memories of time spent with their mom. Nothing fancy. Just a batch of homemade cookies...


Have you baked up a memory lately?

Chocolate Chip Cookies:

2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. In a large mixer, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg and vanilla and beat until mixed in.
3. Add flour, soda and salt a little at a time, until fully incorporated.
4. Add bag of chocolate chips and mix well.
5. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
6. Bake at 350 for approx. 13 minutes or until lightly golden.
7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment