Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sausage & Egg Casserole


Everyone loves a good, quick breakfast casserole and this recipe has become a favorite in our household. I changed up the original recipe a bit to suit our family's taste. It's great for breakfast, brunch or even "breakfast for dinner" nights.

What you will need:

6 slices white bread, cut into bite-size pieces
1 lb. bulk sausage (I use Jimmy Dean mild sausage)
1 bag frozen bell peppers and onions mix (I use Kroger brand 3-pepper and onion), chopped
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt (I think I use less)
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Fry sausage and (chopped) bell pepper/onion mixture in large skillet. Drain off grease.

3. Place bread pieces in bottom of 9x13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

4. Top with cooked sausage and pepper/onion mixture.

5. Add cheese on top of sausage mixture.

6. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper with whisk until well blended. Pour over all the ingredients in your casserole dish.

7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until casserole is lightly browned and the center is set.

8. Serve hot with fresh fruit. Enjoy!

Note: When it comes out of the oven, it will be puffed up. As it cools it will "deflate" a bit, but it still tastes great.

(In the future, I plan to try this recipe and substitute shredded hashbrowns for the bread. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be great!)

Happy Breakfast!!

1 comment: