Monday, July 25, 2011

Pepperoni Rolls

Many, many years ago, a friend served up some delicious pepperoni stuffed rolls at a get together I attended. I believe I asked for the recipe, but for whatever reason, she did not want to part with the recipe. I always wondered how she made them. Over the years, I kept telling myself I was going to try and figure it out. Well, last week, I did just that. This may not be a new recipe to some folks out there, but this was the first time I had ever attempted it. It's super easy and was a HUGE hit with the whole family!

Here is what you will need:

Frozen dinner roll dough
Pepperoni slices, chopped into small pieces
Grated mozzarella cheese
Pizza sauce
1/4 c. Butter, melted
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
Grated Parmesan cheese

1. Place frozen dough on a cookie sheet sprayed generously with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap, that has also been sprayed generously with cooking spray. Allow dough to rise for approx. 3 hours. The dough will be very puffy (see picture above). (Note: try not to place dough balls too close together or they will "grow" together and be harder to get apart for the next step).

2. Take one roll and pull it out, stretching it out in all directions. It will flatten it out.

3. Place 1-2 tablespoons of pepperoni pieces in the center of the dough.

4. Next, top with 1-2 tablespoons of grated mozzarella cheese.

5. Now take the edges of the dough and fold them over the filling. Squeeze the edges together, sealing them closed.

6. It will look like this. (Sorry for the blurry pictures. I'm not a good one-handed photographer!)

7. Place all the rolls in a greased casserole dish and cover with plastic wrap. Allow rolls to rise one hour.

8. Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Rolls should be golden brown.

9. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter, mixed with garlic powder. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Allow to cool approx. 5-7 minutes.

Serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping.

I plan on experimenting with other pizza toppings. The possibilities are endless! This would also be a fun meal time activity for kids to help with, as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment